Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 2, 2011

Gingerbread Houses





First week back from maternity leave this week! It's been great getting back in the groove! To ease back in, I've started a few of my 'go-to' holiday lessons, they can be found here. Newer things will have to come next year, being gone for 6 weeks throws a ringer in starting everything from scratch!


I found pictures of the gingerbread project 5th graders did a few years back. We used cardboard, hot glue and lots of paint. Students worked in groups since it was such a big project -6X6 square. A great way for kids to work in teams which doesn't always happen in art. If you prefer individual work try making smaller homes-(4X4 or 3x3). I assisted with the hot glue and you could even have them pre-made for student use. Students looked at several examples, painting all with brown and then added windows, doors...ect. This took about 3 classes. We finished with clear glitter for the roof top.

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic- I've alaways wanted to try a 'permanent' cardboard type of gingerbread house. Did any of the houses warp once painted? That always happens to me when I use paint on cardboard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    No warpping. We just put a thin coat of tempera on the outside. They were actually really sturdy!
    Thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete